Wednesday, March 21, 2007

THE EGG WHITES ARE BACK!!!

I have no idea why, but I really like to ask people for advice and find ways to defy them. April has told me time and time again, that in her opinion an egg white breakfast has been the foundation to her good healthy CR daily routine. I did the whole egg white thing for the first month I was doing CR and then slowly just stopped having breakfast all together.

However, now I am noticing that not having a solid CR breakfast and going into the evening at a lower calorie level is leading to those nightly sugar cravings as well. When I was in my egg white routine, I hardly ever wanted anything to eat at night. Now, I always want something, so I end up having a late dinner and an even later snack.

I work late hours and stay out of the house even later at my AA meetings. I would like from now on to have an early breakfast, high in protein, good fats and a decent calorie punch, a good lunch and healthy snacks during day and maybe skip dinner all together. It just doesn't make sense to me to have dinner at 9 pm. I can probably fit all my calories in by time I leave my office at 7 pm. Just requires more packing and preparing, but I am used to that now.

Another thing:

VEGGIES!!

I have been anti veg for the last week or so. I really have a hard time cooking them and liking them. I am out of salad mode, unless it is made at a restaurant. What is that all about? The one time I cook veggies and actually like them is when I make soup and now that it's starting to get warmer, I am less likely to be fond of eating soup.

Recipes anyone?

7 comments:

Robin said...

How about Emily's Crustless Pumpkin Pie? Pumpkin *is* a vegetable - a darn healthy one at that - but sticking it in a pie with a little Splenda turns it into dessert. You can eat it hot or, if you want something cold, just cool it after baking and then pop it in the fridge. I love it both ways.

Sara said...

Have you tried putting bell peppers under the grill until the skins are charred black, letting them cool, and then peeling off the skins - yummy. Also, zucchini and asparagus under the grill is delicious too. Add some chopped or sliced tomatoes, and some olives, and a little fat-free feta, and some balsamic and some basil... Mmm. You just cannot not like your veggies. :-) I know that piles of winter greens can get a little tiring though.

If you haven't got Hilary's list emailed to you yet, do. There are loads of recipe suggestions on there.

Emi at Project Swatch said...

How about gazpacho for a summer soup? You can find recipes online, but the basic idea is to puree raw tomato, along with any of the following: cucumber, celery, bell pepper, onion, garlic, etc.

Chill, then swirl a little olive oil in the top when you serve.

Jake Silver said...

I sometimes like to throw some corn, black beans and salsa into my salads... tomatoes and spinach and cucumbers and mushrooms and have kind of a southwestern salad. I know. Not very original. sorry.

Jacqueline said...

Egg whites are the way to go for protein in the AM. I make them w/mixed veggies, or a pancake (EW mixed w/cinammon, sweetner, .5cup of oats - beat then cook like pancake, eat w/sugar free syrup), or a tuna pancake (EW,tuna, onions, oatmeal (or not) - cook like patty)...I have a gazillion of these. I lived on egg whites when i was in training. Let me know if you'd like me to send you them :)

Deborah said...

Mini quiches that you bake ahead of time and grab out of the freezer each morning??

April said...

How about those green cakes I posted while back? MR's mom made them and they were great!

a