Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Understanding Fat

Hey guys! Thanks for all the great comments yesterday. I appreciate the support and feed back. Now I need to pick your brains about fat!

Here's my plan for the day;

Breakfast:

1/2 toasted bagel with
2 tbsp hummus
sliced tomato
1/2 avocado
Large iced Coffee with milk and sugar

Snack:

1/4 almonds

Lunch:

Toasted whole wheat bagel with
4 slices turkey
2 slices muenster
lettuce
tomato
mustard
banana
1/2 cup dannon light and fit yogurt

Snack:

150 grams carrots
2 tbsp hummus

Dinner:

125 grams boiled chicken breast
1.5 cups steamed cabbage with
1/2 cup asparagus
1/2 cup chopped red pepper


Here's the crunch:

1752 calories
108 grams of protein (only 87% goal)
182 grams of carbs (140% goal)
71 grams lipids (146% goal)

My ratio is 24/40/36

90% vitamins - really low on B12 and Vitamin D

96% minerals - 75% on potassium

I am worried about my macro nutrient ratios. Any advice on this. Is that much fat bad, even though the majority of the fat I am taking in is good fats. I am really low on saturated and cholesterol. Should I worry?

I should also add that I am working out. I know there are a lot of carbs, but I think I need them based on my work out. Today I did one hour on the elliptical machine, burning around 500 calories. I would like to keep up that volume of exercise, but then should I change my calories and macro nutrient targets. Anyone have some sort of height, weight, exercise calculator?

6 comments:

Schatze said...

Here's my take:

Wow! I don't see where the 71g of fat is coming from, unless it's from the 1/2 avocado. Of course,the almonds and cheese too, but I'm surprised that it added up so fast.

The biggest problem with fat is that it's so energy dense - a little can increase your calorie total quickly. Of course (and especially with good fats) your body *needs* them and they help you to be less hungry and reduce those weird food cravings. "Low fat" isn't necessarily a good thing.

Maybe reduce the cheese to no more then an ounce a day? Otherwise, if I'm figuring this right, your total calories from fat would be around 36%. That's not bad, esp. since most of it is from nuts and avocado.

Hmm...I'm really interested in some of the other CRONies opinions on this...

Calyb said...

Those were my thoughts as well, Christina, but I really wanted to check with some more experienced cronies.

I am not nearly as well read on nutrition as you and the rest of the gang are.

I think really what I would like to do is calculate what's the best total calorie intake and macronutrient ratios for me, given my new exercise program and my stats.

Thanks for the comments and please more!

Schatze said...

Hey Calyb, thanks for your comment, too! I'm a little dissapointed now that NC isn't represented at the BBQ - but it should be interesting anyways. Hope I don't burn off any taste buds...I rather like them where they are. :)

Sara said...

What brand of hummus do you use? Perhaps if it's made with tahini and olive oil, that's where CoM thinks the fat is coming from (unless you have entered your own stats for that one)? Are you using skim milk in your coffee?

Also how are your Omega 3 to 6 ratios? I like to aim for 1:2 when I can (which I can only do if I am measuring, not off piste like this week...)

Robin said...

Hey Calyb,

This weekend is rough because my husband is out of town and I have no one to watch the kids. But let's definitely get together one of these weekends. Just let me know in advance when you'll be in town and I'll check with my husband to see if he can take care of the girls for me.

Have a great holiday weekend!
R

Illiah said...

Hmmm...
I've only been doing CRON since last February, so not exactly an old hand yet, but I do have a few suggestions to toss out...

The bagels have carbs and calories with no real nutritional value. I would lose them most days, maybe replace the am bagel with egg whites (Yep, put the tomatoes and hummus on them). The lunch bagel, you could do kale, spinach, or some dark leafy green with everything else the same. You would get so much more nutrition and less calories, and feel satified from the bulk. And this isn't to say you can't ever have bagels, but cut back, maybe a few a week.

I run, ususally 6-9 miles a day, and I've gotten to where I really don't eat many more carbs than other cronies, so don't think a workout necessarily means carbo load. That said, you can take something with you incase you do need it.

Of course, you mileage may vary, offer not available in all states, yadda yadda yadda.

Illiah