Thursday, March 01, 2007

IN RESPONSE...


Al left this comment on my blog yesterday;

"As I mentioned recently, seems that lots of CRON bloggers have been sick the last few months. I know that goes against the CR mantra of everyone feeling great on CR but it's true. If you read back the last couple of months on the blogs you'll see that almost everyone is sick at one time or another.I'm not saying there's a causal relationship -- but it sure makes you wonder."

Al thanks so much for posting your "Get wells". I appreciate every one's comments and today, yes I am feeling much better, though I think I am staying out of the office one more day, just to be absolutely certain I am okay.

I think Al may be on to something and on the other hand, maybe not.

Let's break it down.

First off I am VERY new to CRON and actually do not follow it so strictly. I hardly ever get 100% of all my RDA's and my calories are not so restricted for longevity, more for just weight loss. I plan to restrict a lot more once I drop some weight and learn quite a bit more.

Also I have practically destroyed my body and immune system over the course of the last couple of years. Similarly to Emily by not eating for days at a time, over exercising, and then binging. But unlike Emily, I also chose to use drugs and alcohol to help me not eat.

In other words, I wouldn't really say that I am a CRON practitioner 100% and the damage I have done to my body otherwise is going to take time to rebuild, so getting the flu is not saying that CRON is a failure and does not help to protect your immune system.

Robin had a small stomach bug, but she's got kids. Amy got strep; again she has kids. April had some sort of sickness that was very short lived. Emily had a stomach thing, but she did just fly half way across the planet and was probably stressed and exposed to many things.

Also, please do not forget; it's the season to get sick! This is when it happens and the science behind CRON never said you will never get sick. It's just a proven fact that people who practice, get sick less often and have stronger immune systems in general.

6 comments:

Jake Silver said...

Hmmm. Yeah, I got that Staph thing and then the Throw-Up thing. So maybe...

April said...

I didn't get sick for the entire first two and a half years of CR... then I got sick for one day, when under EXTREME stress and pressure. This is after spending the previous fifteen years getting at least one summer and one winter cold, plus other flus, bugs, etc. that went through.

MR has had one cold in eight years.

I wouldn't make assumptions about what CR is doing or not doing based on what is happening to either a) folks who aren't doing much, if any, CR b) folks who just now started. Amy by her own descriptions is attempting to restrict calories a little, but has very stressful circumstances that make it difficult to do much (I don't want that to sound unsupportive, this is not a competition!) Most of the others are brand new. It would make more sense to look to long term, fairly serious CR practitioners for anecdotal evidence (which remains anecdotal, not a proper study) about what CR may or may not do.

a

Deborah said...

Nicely done Carolyn..you tell'em!!

And I'm so glad you've stayed home one more day.

Get well very soon.

D

PS I also haven't been sick in over two years myself..I had one funky stomach thing but it was bad mushrooms..yikes!

Jacqueline said...

glad you're resting. wishing you well! give my love to NYC :)

Deborah said...

Are you better today? I certainly hope so. it's awful being sick.

D

Anonymous said...

Hey, I haven't had a cold... yet.