Tuesday, October 02, 2007

THE LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIP I HAVE WITH WEEKENDS

Again, I say; weekends are rough. It's really hard to balance the freedom, fun, and diet.

This past weekend was my birthday and my girlfriend Sara and I took a drive to Western Mass. and camped. It was great and we went CR prepared (minus the bottle of rum). I packed marinated chicken breast for grilling, fresh cut veggies for snacking, black beans, salsa, eggs, whole wheat pasta salad. I had it planned.

However, it was our first camping experience together and our equipment was kind of thrown together last minute. We weren't able to make coffee until 10pm, the second night of the trip. We couldn't grill because we left our perfect little grill at home (Honda accord = not much room) and the grill the camp site provided was just not usable for anything other than a fire pit. Dirty disgusting grates that were too thick to heat even a pan.

So, we ate out. Dinner our first night there was snacky foods we packed. Breakfast and lunch the next day were ate at local restaurants in NoHo. Of course being my birthday, I figured I deserved pancakes and sushi (not at the same sitting of course). Dinner our last night there, again was snacks featuring some super goat cheese we picked up at the local farmers market.

I haven't even added all the data into the CROM. Not because I am scared, but I just didn't document or keep track. Oh did I mention the cupcake and candy I ate?

Again, weekends are rough for me.

This week, I am focusing on learning more about animal proteins. As I do not have a lot of extra time on hand for reading, I am still slowly making my way through "Food Politics". One thing that sticks out to me the most so far is the danger of animal proteins and I normally eat alot.

So far (as in this is only Tuesday) I have cut down to animal proteins (other than yogurt and cheese) to once a day. Here's today's summary;

Breakfast;
1 whole egg
3 egg whites
1 tbsp FF ricotta
2 tbsp salsa

Snack:
1/4 cup almonds

Lunch:
Veggie wrap from Subway (I planned and brought something else, but there is always an excuse...)
85 grams carrots
2 tbsp hummus

Snack:
1 cup pop corn (could have easily done without)

Dinner:
Baked potato
1 Serving cabbage soup (cabbage, black beans and tomato)
1 serving mashed cauliflower

Now, this animal protein thing is kind of rocking my boat. I can easily eat a lot of food and not have as many calories. However, my protein is low and my carbs are high. I can see ways to improve on that (stick with the soup I packed for lunch, no pop corn, etc.), but adding the protein is where I am having trouble.

I could easily add more cheese and yogurt, but isn't that still considered animal protein? Even the veggies that are highest in protein, you would have to eat tons of it to meet my old targets. Beans are good, but just as carby.

My old goals were 130 grams of carbs and 120 grams of protein. I can get in the 90's with proteins eating like this, but the carbs are now around 160.

Does anyone else know anything about animal proteins. How many carbs are too many? What's too much or not enough protein?

5 comments:

Emi at Project Swatch said...

Hi Calyb,

People have really different ideas about appropriate amounts of protein - some people would say 90 grams is PLENTY, some might prefer your previous target.

Basically, all natural non-animal proteins are combinations of carbohydrates and protein. Some are higher carb (like beans), some are lower carb (like mushrooms or broccoli). However, although mushrooms are (I think) 50% protein, they have so few calories you can't get THAT much protein from them.

The only way to eat a high-protein diet based on plant proteins is to eat moderately or highly processed plant foods. Moderately processed would be things like tofu, seitan (wheat gluten), soymilk or tempeh - basically, if I can make it at home, I consider it moderately processed. Highly processed would be things like protein powder (soy/rice/hemp/whatever) or fake meat (like boca burgers or quorn).

Different people will tell you that you NEED to eat a high protein diet, or you NEED to cut out animal proteins, or you NEED to eat less protein . . . read what you can, experiment with eating different ways, and see what makes *you* feel best.

Robin said...

I've been increasing my protein intake because my weight is so low I'm starting to get worried about my bones. Tony would argue that you need to eat a lot of protein to protect your bones while losing weight. So I've been consuming *a lot* of yogurt and egg whites with a good bit of meat as well. But that's me.

I think no matter what you do, there will always be someone out there saying you shouldn't do it. Some folks are anti-meat or anti-meat products of any kind. Others are anti-soy. And then there's the camp that eschews all things processed. What to do?

I think Ellie's advice is perfect. Do what works for you. Remember, you're trying to come up with something that is sustainable for *you*. That means you have to enjoy what you're eating and feel comfortable in your own skin. This is what I love about the CRON approach - there are no hard and fast rules.

Hey, let me know if you're in the Boston area again. I really would like to get together sometime.

April said...

I'd say focus on getting the saturated fat out of your diet first. Get rid of the egg and just do eggwhites. Replace some meat that has cholesterol with nonfat dairy, and use unsaturated sources for fat (nuts, olive oil, flax oil.)

And happy birthday!

a

Arkava said...

Why don't you consider a whey or better yet a casein supplement? The casein will provide you with a long lasting stream of aminos. You can also have the whey with curd/ any fibrous food stuff to slow its digestion. That will do well for you.You can adjudge how much protein you are putting into yur body perfectly as well.

Anonymous said...

真是感人肺腑的文章~~..................................................................