Tuesday, March 13, 2007

RETRACTION

Okay, so yesterday I said I would join in on the 90 day challenge with Robin and Jake to "get in shape". I think I have to retract that statement.

After a lot of thought last night, pros and cons listed out, reading comments from other readers, etc. I came to the conclusion that it's just simply impossible. My daily routine, no matter what I do will not allow for a structured routine exercise program as of yet.

For instance, yesterday I left my house at 7 am, walked to work, worked all day until about 6:15 and then went to my nightly AA meeting. After I left my meeting, I walked back to work to pick up the pooch, and headed home. When I finally got home it was 8:30 pm. Then had to feed the dog, walk him again, feed myself, plan for today's food, make time for a phone call, do some reading and pass out.

My days are long enough right now. My days are filled with physical activity too. I used an online calculator to try and determine just how much exercise I am getting. Based on my current weight, the pace and time of my walks, I am burning somewhere around 175-200 calories each time I walk. That's not half bad. Not bad at all. Here are my list of walks per day:

To work is about 20 minutes or 1.3 miles

Lunch with the pooch. 30 minutes, I have no idea how far.

Pre meeting walk with pooch. Again 30 minutes, I have no idea how far.

To and from a meeting (doesn't really count because it's only a matter of a few blocks)

Home again is about 20 minutes or 1.3 miles.


I am probably averaging about 4-4.5 miles per day.

Now, I know that does nothing for toning up my arms or abs, but I have my weekends to focus on that if I choose, or I can choose to be lazy. My biggest fear of not getting enough needed rest and relaxation is burning out. My alcohol recovery has to be my number one in life right now and I believe the added stress and pressure of an exercise routine is just too much. Call it a cop out if you like, but I know my priorities.

One thing I am going to add to my monthly routine is my old cycling club. They have 2-3 organized rides per month that usually include a dinner or breakfast. I am doing this mostly for some fun social events. Not drinking and being around my beer buddy's has caused me to become a bit antisocial. These events will provide me with some great exercise and some good friends.

Okay enough rambling. To all a good day!

6 comments:

Deborah said...

Hey there!
I'm in agreement with you Carolyn on this one. You do get lots of exercise with all your walking and getting around town. Doing a 90-day program can be very stressful and trying to keep up with yet another plan right now with all your new CR/Food/meetings/work plans and so on. I think that you've done the right thing for now. Perhaps further down the road, when you are totally comfortable in all your schedules (and everything becomes old hat and easy, you could take on a program like this, but for now, I'm glad you are going to focus on what you've got going now.

take care,
D

HkGrace said...

Absolutely I agree. We New Yorkers get so much exercise just by living our daily lives. Between my walks to the subway, mailbox, Starbucks, etc. and my 5th-floor walk up, I don't feel bad when I can't work in even my little 1.25 mile run. No worries! Planning food takes enough of my time as well, and that is my #1 priority with health right now.

Al Nye said...

Carolyn, wise move. You're doing plenty of walking right now and don't need the extra stress of trying to fit in even more exercise. Good for you in recognizing it so quickly!

Al

Robin said...

Yep, I agree with everything you've said.
I'm in a very different place compared to you. My CRON practice is firmly established, I'm not battling an alcohol addiction and I have a lot more time than you do to focus on an exercise program. I need some new challenges in my life - you have quite enough already! So don't worry about it. There's nothing special about this particular time. You can always focus on exercise when things settle down for you. And it sounds like you're getting plenty of exercise already as part of your daily routine.
Above all, do whatever you need to do to take the best possible care of yourself.
-R

Jake Silver said...

That's not at all a copout! MOST people have very inactive lifestyles, and when compared to our ancestors who were very active, they need to make up for it by doing "formal" exercise. But it seems like you are so active that it does not matter for you. Work in some extra biceps curls or something... perhaps I will look up some great links and photos for exercises "on the go" to help with the toning and yoga-ish components of fitness and post those.

Al Nye said...

Carolyn, the other thing that you need to keep in mind is that running a mile and walking a mile burn about the same amount of calories. And if you walk at a brisk pace, you obtain great cardiovascular benefits without all of the stress that running puts on the body.

Also, if you use good technique and put as much effort into walking as you would running, you can get the same aerobic benefit.

Al