Monday, January 15, 2007

LOOK MOM, I DID IT!

So I think I am beginning to understand things A LOT better now. Thanks, Mary so much for the excel spread sheet. It has really helped me to design my own CR.

I am not sure if my targets make sense, so please comment if you have anything you would like to add or warn me of doing before I die.

Okay here goes the targets:

1200 total calories per day
125 grams of protein per day (this is somewhere between MR's and the Zone recommendations)
35 grams of fat
96 grams of carbohydrates

It's a 42%, 32%, 26% ratio basically

Most of my mircronutrient goals are coming directly from Walford's recommendations.

I designed a sudo "quotation diet" that helps me to meet these levels. It's a bit tricky for me at the moment and it's going to take a bit more tweaking to get it all right. Without supplements and from food only, I am hitting my vitamin and mineral targets right at 80%. Vitamin K is real problem, though. When I get a bit more organized and familiar with the daily diet, I will be able to add in more green leafy veggies for that.

I am interested to know if my protein, carb, fat mix seems right or if I am looking at this complete wrong. I hear a lot of debate about protein, but MR seems to be fine with it, given his daily recommendation at 190 for my current weight, height, etc...(based on Mary's database, so if something has changed or if I am misquoting, I apologize and please advise) I am going with a lower amount of 125 as a start. Then of course regroup in a bit and see how it is working for me personally.

I am excited about my studying tonight. By no means am I an expert, but I feel in control a bit better. I have also decided to do my complete menu for the following day at night. I know it will need a bit of tweaking at the end of the day, but the early prep is good for me. I like order! If I wait until the next day to finish up my planning, I know I am just setting myself up for some disasters.

Take today for an example. I was running behind this morning, so I just packed Fiber One and Soy Milk for breakfast, a simple organic tomato soup for lunch and at 2 pm was feeling all sorts of weird, because I had nowhere near a normal amount of protein in me at that time. For me to stay on top of this, I will have to organize myself better!

When I hear other people's meal plans you can easily tell that they are looking at a much bigger picture. How certain foods make you feel during the course of the day can play a huge part in whether you can stick with this or not. It's really not hard and it is very fulfilling IF you eat correctly. I am going to shy away as much as possible from any frozen or prepared foods. I don't think that they will kill you any faster than GAK, but it's much easier to reach your nutritional goals without them.

I am really excited about my new found knowledge. I am far aware from the end result, but it makes me happy to finally be able to really understand the COM and if anyone has ANY feed back, I graciously welcome it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, sounds like you really put a lot of work into your plan! I'm suprised that K is low, because I seem to get 150x the requirement every day - I think it's the leafy greens. Even just 50 calories worth of most dark leafy greens has SO many nutrients!

I'd defintiely be interested in seeing your quotidian plan, it's interesting how everyone puts such different foods together to get the RDAs

Anonymous said...

Kale is the answer for Vit. K. Just a little bit puts you off the chart. My biggest problem with kale is when you buy it (at the regular grocery, at least) it comes in these HUGE bags and even if I eat some every day, I end up wasting half the thing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn,
Nice job getting all that together. Look forward to seeing how it goes.

D

Calyb said...

I know that Kale will get me there, but I am really stumped about kale. Like Amy, I hate buying it in huge quantities and wasting it. I really don't even know the best way to eat it! I have not been eating a lot of salads lately. Just a small one at dinner, as opposed to my old huge lunch salad. I have been in soup mode lately. So any ideas?

Anonymous said...

Yay Carolyn! Good job on all your hard work.
I'm become a proponent of good sized lunches - and it helps a lot if it's something you can pack up the night before. Dinner leftovers are great for this!

Anonymous said...

regarding too much kale, why not cook it all and freeze the extra? Cooked kale should freeze just fine.

Other dark green veggies have tons of K as well - maybe chard, collard greens or spinach would work better for you? Watercress also has lots (along with tons of calcium, oddly enough). Or broccoli or cabbage, or really most green veggies, I think. Check out http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-011104000000000000000.html a list of the highest vitamin K veggies, per calorie

Anonymous said...

Carolyn,
I take a huge saute pan. put lemon, a tiny,tiny bit of olive oil (or you can use olive oil spray), salt, garlic, onion (chopped red onions are yummy), white wine even :) and then I put a whole pile of kale in it. (Make sure you wash the Kale very well and I always pull the leaves off the hard stem) I cover it for a couple of minutes. As soon as it begins to cook, it shrinks way down in size. Uncover and saute for a couple more minutes and then put in your bowl. I use kitchen scissors to cut it into sizable bites. Then dig in. It does take getting used to , but once you see what it does for your mineral counts.. You're going to love it even more