Monday, February 26, 2007

THE OC AND THE D

Two part post here, but both pretty well related.

This weekend was full of obsessions. Some healthy some, some not so healthy.

Let's start with the OCD side of things. I had been thinking all week last week that I would scrub my apartment from top to bottom this weekend and I did, (here's the OCD part) TWICE!

I started on Saturday morning by moving all the furniture in my bedroom to the middle of the floor and scrubbing the floor, base board, and base board heater. Then I dusted and scrubbed everything else, including sanitizing my mattress. The finished up by vacuuming and mopping the hard wood floors. I was able to do all this by 9:30 am and then headed out with Pabst to my office. I stayed there until about 1 pm, did my dog food and grocery shopping and headed on home.

When I got home, I cooked, cleaned the kitchen and the bathroom and eventually crashed around 7 pm with Pabst in arms, book in hand, and a nice green tea.

Well when attempting to fall asleep on Saturday night, I got the notion that I had just not cleaned properly. That tomorrow would be another day of scrubbing. Again, I woke up early, but this time headed straight into work and spent the morning there. I headed home around 1 pm and spent the rest of the afternoon again scrubbing the base boards and this time doing the entire apartment over on my hands and knees, no mop! I also cleaned and organized my desk, reorganized my kitchen cabinets (border line "Sleeping with the Enemy") and proceeded to start to organize my closet.

What in the hell is wrong with me? I think this whole not drinking thing is leaving me with too much spare time and no friends that are interested in doing something outside of a bar.

Obsession Part 2: I found on www.myspace.com/fox that you can watch the Fox network TV shows. Well yesterday after cleaning fit number 2 I discovered the OC (Orange County). Talk about stupid dramatic TV, but after one episode I was hooked. Would Ryan ever give Taylor a shot at true love? Would Kirsten find out about Julies hooker business? I watched 8, count them 8 back to back episodes and finally after being totally OC overloaded at midnight, went to bed!

So, I guess we just trade in one addiction for another!

7 comments:

Sara said...

I'd put the cleaning down to displacement activity and move on.

I have a new and quite horrible addiction to Battlestar Galactica (boredom!), so I can appreciate the compulsion to OC overload. :-)

Deborah said...

Geesh! I could use that once in a while!

Time to move on..and it sounds like you have.

:-D

April said...

You can come clean my house anytime you want... I'll even pay for it. And make you good CR food.

I agree with Sara, worry not, at least not yet. It's hard to fill up the void left by ending an activity that used to take a lot of time. Exercise might help too.
I find that it's such a great stress reducer. Really stops the thoughts from running around in my head.

a

Jacqueline said...

I agree with all of the above. Enjoy your freshly sanitized house and OCtv! I'm sure you deserve it :)

Robin said...

Come over here to Brookline, MA! I've got a dirty old Victorian with your name all over it. Cat fur and Cheerios (what can I say? my toddler loves 'em) everywhere.

-R

catlady said...

Amen to all of the above! At least you did something CONstructive instead of DEstructive! (The cleaning anyway.)
You could do worse than watch tv! Have you ever watched "Monk" on USA? Now there's someone with OCD!

You'll be fine honey, you just gotta find your new place in the world!

Calyb said...

Monk and I could be very good friends, lovers, coworkers...whatever! I carry my bottle of lysol and sanitzing gel and wipes everywhere I go now!

It's amazing because in my younger years, I was the kid with pizza and 3 month old dirty socks stashed under my bed.

If I can change, so can anyone else!