Monday, February 26, 2007

MORALITY AND FOOD


And now an excerpt from April's earlier post:

"I've written extensively about how I find it most counterproductive to think of food in moral terms. Foods either make us healthier or they don't. They either fit into our lifestyle or they don't. They either taste good to us or they don't. There's only one way to find out: do the research and/or give it a try. I am not doing CR to prove that I am a good or moral person, and if I were, I think that would be downright silly because my ability to eat this or that proves nothing about my character. I wish that all this talk of food as morality would just go away. It sets people up for ridiculous guilt, which in turn sets them up for more binging, followed by more fasting or purging, followed by my eventual entry on that topic.
Ditto on the "idea of junk food." CR is not about how we feel about food. Most of us find that we feel better about food post-CR than pre, but whether we like "junk" or not, we can still do CR and improve our health, hopefully even lengthen our lives. Lower calories, more nutrition, that's all. "



Now, I know that April would prefer that we just go on and drop this subject, but I wanted to make a bit of a personal confession. I find confessions help me to confront my fears, gain inspiring feed back from others, and just get over it.

Now my personal moral issue and guilt behind food does not necessary revolve around the other subjects I read people blogging about; environmental, animal rights, etc.. I am not at that point YET, but as I have posted before, my dream is to one day become a cool hippie Brooklyn hipster, thrift store clothes, incense and all.

My issues revolve around my eating habits, weight and general appearance. I used to think when I was much heavier that people would watch me eat and think or say, "Gosh, doesn't that pig know that she's not going to do any better in life by eating that Big Mac?"

I can remember from early, early childhood always being a bit heavier than my sister. She was two years older than me, but we wore the same size clothes. Chrystal was always the popular, more social sister too and I always related that directly to her being thinner and prettier than I am. This I know I did not completely manifest in my own mind, at least not the actually being heavier part. I remember being told by older, much thinner cousins at an early age that I needed to start watching my diet and overall food intake. Being counseled on nutrition at early age, but all that information going totally over my head. For Pete's sake, I was like 7. I couldn't control what my mother bought at the store, is what I thought at the moment, but looking back on it, I could certain control what was being shoved into my mouth.

So, I have always been aware that nutrition and proper exercise were lacking in my life and have always had a tremendous amount of guilt and self hate about it all.

Until.....

Now!

Even when I started loosing weight 4 years ago, I still was very self conscious and constantly felt guilty about what I ate on a regular basis.

With the help of CRON (or the beginning stages, learning of it) I am learning to not associate my food intake with my emotions or morals. The learning process that I am going through is helping me to grow spiritually and emotionally as well nutritionally. (if that makes sense)

AGAIN: LOWER CALORIES, MORE NUTRITION, THAT'S ALL!

Thanks, April for that post. It brought up a lot of thoughts for me all day and has left me with an overall feeling of inner strength and excitement about further honing my CRON lifestyle.

Now in other news;

I want to be a marathon runner. Just kidding. No marathons for me today, however I would like to start attempting to learn how to run properly. April asked me earlier if Pabst and I could be running partners and my first thought was "HELL NO!". The poor kid can't get out from right underneath my feet to save his life. But, tonight I took him for a run, walk after work. We would walk a block, run a block, walk a block, run a block, etc...

He actually did quite well and now he's passed out like a baby and NOT chewing on my work shoes. So, two birds, one stone.

Night all!

7 comments:

Ali said...

Yea for running! Still too chilly in Kansas to get out there though.

April said...

Glad you found the post helpful!

a

Jacqueline said...

I can totally relate Carolyn, I was always the chubby (well, maybe a little more than chubby) girl with the pretty face growing up. And although I'm no longer that girl, sometimes I still see her in the mirror...but it's a process right? :)

Moving on to the running...I LOVE running and have run 2 marathons. I started out a complete beginner and just progressed a little each day. If I can do it, anyone can!
I have a bunch of great running books if you'd like to borrow I can send them to ya, let me know :)
There's also some great websites I can tell ya about. Shoot me an email!

Robin said...

Carolyn,

Tears come to my eyes every time I think of a child feeling bad or somehow less valuable as a person because of a number on a scale. I wish with all my heart that society would stop treating heavier people like they're morally inferior to thin people. I am no more virtuous today than I was when I was 50 pounds heavier. I just have useful tools to help me now.

I'm so glad you're building a positive relationship with food. Healthy eating is such a loving thing to do for yourself. Exercise can be, too. You just keep trucking along this path. You're doing great!

-R

Sierra said...

I too was the chubby girl. I remember vividly shopping at Sears in the "Pretty Plus" girl's department. Ick! And my older sister was a real beauty, which sure didn't help.

On running - I just started running cuz I signed up for Team Gluten Free to run the Portland Marathon in October. I'm running about 2-3 miles right now, but I've got a plan. I'm also scared witless :-) but I'm taking it one step at a time. I've always wanted to run a marathon, so I am. I always wanted to learn how to fence and I met my husband fencing, so I figure it's good to do all those things I always wanted to do. And the training will be A Positive Experience. (I hope!)

cat said...

you will love running! it is the first cardio exercise that grew on me because i could see so much progress (unlike just doing the elliptical or something, which i find harder to gauge). i went from BARELY being able to run for two minutes to be able to run basically forever heh. it's really rewarding -- just make sure you give it time. and remember to stretch!

Sierra said...

Hi Cat - yes I'm stretching. I have to be careful stretching, though, because I'm hyper-flexible and have a tendency to overstretch. I'm running 2-3 miles now with a goal of 26.2 miles on Oct 7. (cross my fingers!!)
The weather in Oregon has been yucky, which isn't helping, but if it's too yucky out I do time on my VersaClimber. That gets a good cross training workout at least.