Wednesday, February 28, 2007

SICK!!!

You know I don't know who started spreading this bug, but when I find him/her, I am going to do some major butt kicking!

Yesterday morning I woke up feeling really crappy, but went into work as usual. As the day progressed, it got worse and worse. Stinging cough, sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, and I didn't check, but quite sure a fever off and on.

Finally I was able to leave the office around 7 pm and head home, but my work was not done. Still had puppy chores, had to run to the pharmacy and pick up a "knock me out" cough syrup and was still waiting for a work call to come in as we had a crew up in CT until the late hours.

I didn't really eat much either. First off, I had no appetite and secondly nothing I ate was sticking in my stomach! So my calories were a low 550 when I got home. When I ran to the pharmacy I picked up a carton of orange juice and just about drank the whole thing before going to bed. Minus the 3 servings I gave my roommate, because he TOO has this darn bug!

So ended up yesterday around 1100-1200, but 60% of that was just juice. Still NOT hungry this morning, still SICK, but still at work! I swear I am leaving today at noon!

So what do we do when we are sick? Not having enough calories just makes me feel more weak, but I'll be damned if I am the least bit hungry or want my stomach churning all day. Just drinking water is enough to get my stomach rocking and rolling today!

I know the best answer is sleep and hopefully I will be able to leave early today with little trouble.

8 comments:

Robin said...

Oh no!
Sorry you aren't feeling well.
Yes, definitely go home as soon as you can manage it. Can you ask friends to help you out with chores and walking the dog? You really should stay in bed until you're feeling better.
Personally, when I'm sick I only want two things: soup and popsicles. Not the healthiest fare but both have soothing effects on sore throats. Also, drink lots of hot tea if you can.
Take care of yourself. I hope you're feeling better soon.
-R

Deborah said...

Aww..poor thing. I'm sorry you are sick.
Listen to your body..do not try to eat when you really don't want food. Your body needs to heal itself and digesting food takes away it's energy from the healing process. Fluids and rest are what you need. Go home!!

And I mean that in the nicest way :)

Feel better soon,
:-D

Jacqueline said...

Robin & Deb are right. Go home and get to bed!!! Curl up under the covers, drink your liquids and watch some trash TV :) Get well soon!!!

Jacq

Deborah said...

Are you at home yet?!?!?

I hope you are feeling better soon Carolyn.

Take care,
D

Al Nye said...

Carolyn, hope you feel better soon. As I mentioned recently, seems that lots of CRON bloggers have been sick the last few months. I know that goes against the CR mantra of everyone feeling great on CR but it's true. If you read back the last couple of months on the blogs you'll see that almost everyone is sick at one time or another.

I'm not saying there's a causal relationship -- but it sure makes you wonder.

Anyway, hope you recover soon.

Al

Schatze said...

Hope you feel better soon, Carolyn!

Matthew said...

Hope you feel better soon :)

Matthew said...

When I'm sick I usually stick with sweet potatoes. They have a fair bit of nutrients, including potassium... and high caloric density. Easy to stomach too when you not feel like eating. Try a 1tbsp of Olive oil with it also.

Ginger tea might also help, i always find that when I can't eat much because I feel sick, I sip it for most of the day and stimulates my appetite and ables me to eat at least something.