Tuesday, February 27, 2007

CANNED SALMON!!!

Okay so like a week or so or maybe even a month ago there was some blog discussion about how great canned salmon can be. So of course I went out and bought like 8 cans and haven't even touched them. After I started eating sardine pitas for lunch, I thought maybe salmon would be also a good pita sandwich. But, honestly, I wanted something more.....

So, I have done some research and here is what I have come up with;

Salmon Frittata

.25 cups chopped green peppers
.25 cups chopped onion
1 tsp of minced garlic
14.75 ounces canned salmon
1 cup egg whites
1 whole egg
1/4 cup FF ricotta
LOTS OF HOT SAUCE
1/3 cup shredded FF cheddar cheese

Okay so you know how to do this. Mix all ingredients aside from the cheddar cheese and put into a sprayed casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees until firm and remember to added the shredded on top just a few minutes before being done.

4 servings;

251 calories
34 grams protein
9 grams carbs
7 grams lipids
27% vitamins (mostly b's)
23% minerals (selenium through the roof)


Salmon Chili

14.75 ounces of salmon
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 small hot pepper diced
1 cup frozen corn
15 ounces washed and drained canned black beans
15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
14 ounces chicken broth
spices dried - cumin, chili powder, coriander, salt and pepper

Now I like to saute my peppers, garlic and onions a bit first, add the dry seasoning so they toast up a bit, then broth, corn, beans, salmon, tomatoes and just stew. Delicious!

6 servings

190 calories
19 grams protein
15 grams carbs
5 grams lipids
23 % vit
25% minerals

So just some ideas...I have not actually made them, but I will soon and I will post pics of food and smiley full faces!

5 comments:

Jacqueline said...

YUM,YUM,YUM!

Anonymous said...

Yeah- I got turned off sardine sandwiches sometime last week.. Strange.. I think it's partly to do with something I heard about them on the CRcomm email list..

Now I'm looking for some vitD alternatives too.

Deborah said...

Nice job Carolyn..I've got a poor can just sitting there on my shelf and now I've got something to do with it!
Thanks

:-D

April said...

You and my cat think alike...

Ali said...

The frittata sounds yum for sure! Just got to really mashed those bones up!! ;) ali