Tuesday, January 16, 2007

BEST CR SOUP I EVER MADE

So tonight I made a great little soup. The unfortunate part being the batch made 4 servings, so looks like I will be eating for a while. The good thing I have found is that freshly made soup usually survives a couple of days with no problem.

Here ya go:

453 grams of cabbage fresh
225 grams extra lean pork tenderloin
1/2 cup each of red onion and mixed peppers fresh
1 cup of frozen peas
3 cloves chopped fresh garlic
900 grams of Organic Reduced Sodium Veggie Broth
1 Cup Water
1/2 Whole Food Roasted Veggie Reduced Sodium Pasta Sauce

First I sauteed the onions, garlic and peppers in a olive oil pam type stuff
then added the broth, cabbage, peas, water, and chopped raw pork

Let it all stew around for about 30 minutes on a good medium high (gas) heat.

Here's the crunch. Now if anyone has any ideas on how to up the micronutrients in this, please advise....

206 Calories
15.5 grams protein
8 grams fat
18 grams carbs
6 grams fiber
6.7 sugar


Vitamin A 29%
Folate 9%
B1 67%
B2 16%
B3 23%
B5 14%
B6 43%
B12 13%
C 7%
E 2%
K 65% (my proudest moment!)
Calcium 9%
Copper 6%
Iron 7%
Magnesium 8%
Manganese 4%
Phosphorus 22%
Potassium 13%
Selenium 10%
Sodium 6%
Zinc 5%

Saturated Fat 20% (I guess the biggest problem, probably because of pork.)
Omega 3 7%
Omega 6 5%
Cholesterol 13%

Okay, so I am pretty happy with how this turned out numbers wise. My complaint yesterday was Vitamin K, so I know that cabbage and other leafy greens are the way to go and will continue to have one huge serving of those daily.

This soup is delicious and VERY easy to make!

Does anyone know what the effects of cooking veggies does to the vitamins? Isnt that why vegans are vegans? I am kinda clueless, but will continue to research.

Have a great one everybody!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! It's right before dinner time, and that recipe made me really hungry.
As for boosting the nutrition more, carrots would be an easy way to add Vit A and the color would be pretty, too.