Saturday, January 20, 2007

CHERRY POPPIN!

So I went to the infamous Trader Joe's today for the first time (hence the title). It was a great experience. I really love the store and I think I will continue to go. Maybe once a week, but never again on a Saturday morning. I bet all of Manhattan was in that place!

I got some pretty basic stuff;

pasturized crab meat
almonds
sunflower seeds
jalopeno's
green onions
frozen chicken breast
frozen organic corn
and a few other things, I now can't remember

The prices were awesome. Especially the crab meat ($8.99). The cheapest I have ever bought that was $14.00. So, overall I was pretty pleased.

Now one thing that bothered me about the store was some of the packaging. I don't think that the veggies should all be pre packed in little plastic containers and bags. It's just over packaging. Most of these items in other stores would just be loose. I have no idea what their reasons are for doing it that way and there may be a completely reasonable, environmentally friendly answer. I'll find out!

My Saturday has been great, with the trip to TJ's just being icing on the cake. I woke up early and dropped my laundry. Then I came home, had some coffee and did some basic straightening and cleaning. Then off to TJ's. When I got home, I put all my groceries away and started builing my new shelves. Can you believe it....I finished them?!?!? AND they look great! I have had these shelves purchased, painted and waiting for like 2 months. I am stoked to finally have them up. I also assembled my new dog crate, did some sticker decorating, and did some deep cleaning.

Now here's the sad part of the day; Just now I went out to buy some diet cranberry juice. I figured I deserved a cocktail to celebrate my hard work. I went to 3 different stores within 3 or 4 blocks of here searching for the cranberry juice. NO LUCK!! I live in a prodominately poor hispanic neighborhood in Brooklyn. All I could find was the super sugar drinks. I began looking around the stores a bit more and noticed that they did not carry any bottled water in the coolers that was larger than the standard 1/2 liter. All the ready to drink, chilled beverages were super packed, full flavored. There was one store that didnt even carry diet pepsi or coke in the cold case. AMAZING!! And it's not just drinks. These stores had limited produce, if any, but their candy and snack isles were HUGE!!! The frozen pizza and other gak goods were in abundence. No wander people feel like they have no choice or just do not know any better.

I usually do not shop in my neighborhood anyways. There is a great store by my office and I usually stop there on my way home. I will continue not to shop in this neighborhood, too. I wrote about this a few days ago in relation to the NY transfat band. I do believe the band is credible and should be in effect, however, the more I look around the more I realize MORE MUST be done! NY has to find a way to offer good wholesome food in every neighborhood, regardless of race or economical structure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't TJ's incredible? I moved back to Kansas City after a year in Phoenix and have been going through withdrawls ever since. I have even considered driving to St. Louis (3 hours away) just to get my TJ's fix. Next time you go, pick up some of their cranberry juice. As I recall it is straight juice with nothing added.

Anonymous said...

I love Trader Joes too. Their frozen vegetables are flash frozen on site. Very Freshhh! Did you pick up some 2-buck-chuck?? (Charles Shaw wine.) Pretty good deal.

Sounds like you've had a winner of a day! Enjoy

D

Anonymous said...

I'm really surprised that we don't have a TJs in this college town - wish we did! The Charles Shaw wine IS good, esp the shiraz and boujolais - $3!!!! ($2 in CA)
Sorry your neighborhood shopping stinks. At least you're putting together a great little place to live!

Anonymous said...

Hey! About your comment - If you haven't heard this report already, here is a link to an interesting NPR segment on Chinatown produce:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6827952

Anonymous said...

I looove Trader Joes. I will be happy to be able to go again when I'm home! I love the teriyaki turkey jerkey, it's full of sodium, but delicious, high protein, and low carb/fat.

I also highly suggest the frozen berries. And frozen mango, though it's a bit higher cal. And they do good dairy too. (And amazing chocolate covered espresso beans, but you might want to stay away from those.) Oh, and very inexpensive, high-quality cheese.

The reason all the veggies are prepacked is because they don't weigh anything - everything is priced per item. I rarely buy fresh veggies there, though.