Sunday, January 21, 2007

SUNDAY'S PLAN FOR MONDAY

Okay so I have been working on my cron-o-meter trying to plan my week, but mostly Monday. I am really happy with my results. I was able to really up my protein without going over board on calories. My original goal was very ZONE like. 30/40/30 and it's getting much easier for me to find that balance. My vitamins and minerals are looking great as well. Still not 100%, but damn close from just basic foods. Here what tomorrow will look like;

1050 calories (saving room for a midnight snack attack or whatever else may come up)

99 grams protein (HELL YEAH)
98 grams of carbs
36 grams of fat (could be a bit higher, so that snack attack will probably be almonds)

98% of daily vitamins
95% of daily minerals


Here is what I plan to eat;

Breakfast

Egg Whites with chopped green onions and TJ salsa


Snack:

Yogurt

Lunch:

homemade cabbage soup

spinach, turkey, egg white salad with sunflower seeds and salsa

Snack:

Mega Muffin (savory)

Calcium Chew some where in the day



Okay so dinner is not listed. I am finding that I rarely have an appetite for dinner. I try to get the majority of my calories over and done with early. I have heard this has great results as far as lasting through the day, cutting down on unnecessary snacking, etc...and like I said, I rarely have the appetite. Plus I work long, late hours, so the pre planned healthy large breakfast, lunch, and snacks seem to make sense. I do not think saving 300-400 calories for a large dinner at 8-9 pm are necessary.

Now, with this plan, I can work comfortably, come home have either a low calorie snack or a glass of wine, or both :), do my blogging or reading and head to bed.

The thing that is really bothering me, is not being at 100% with my vitamins. What I am obviously lacking on is calcium and vitamin D. Now I just read today that Salmon is very high in D. I like that low calorie, high protein option for maximizing D. I will try to add salmon into my weekly diet now, maybe like 2 times per week, unless someone knows of any health risk associated with this.

If you have any other ideas on increasing calcium and vitamin D, I am all ears. The other low vitamin is B 12. I need to still research all of these quite a bit, but I am sure I will find a solution. I really do not want to supplement! If I can fix these couple of things, I feel I will be doing great. Right now all my other vitamins are off the charts just from food.

Other than that I am very pleased with my weekend. I got a lot accomplished in my apartment. I watched a good movie. Did quite a bit of walking. Listened to some great music and now tonight I am going to relax with a green tea and Frontline (PBS). Hope you all enjoyed your weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, i'm another newbie and i just wanted to say hello. please visit my blog!

Anonymous said...

As I understand it, it's very difficult to get enough D from diet alone. In the summer, a lot of time outside in the sun may or may not be sufficient, and in colder climates in winter, you just need to supplement. I think that shiitake mushrooms are the only vegetarian source of natural D, and some fish have lots of D.

Calcium - yogurt is the easiest way to get it, but I prefer to eat almost no dairy, so I get most of mine from leafy greens, collards have a lot. Sesame seeds are another good source, as is watercress (oddly enough).

B12 is the animal vitamin - there are no vegan sources. I'm frequently low on B12 so I supplement, but when I do get enough it's usually from tuna. I don't know about salmon, it might have lots of B12 - if it does, that would work out well for you :) I LOVE smoked salmon.

Anonymous said...

Carolyn,
You are doing an awesome job! I'm so impressed. congrats. You're pulling it all together. I bet your apartment is really taking shape too and it must feel so good.

have you seen the Adora Chocolates yet? Here's the link.
http://www.adoracalcium.com/nutrition.htm#dark

I LOVE these.. My little bit of chocolate a day helps stave off massive chocoholism attacks.

here's another great tool. You may already have the link. It's a nutrient search tool on the nutritional data site.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/tools/nutrient-search. Just plug in your nutrient and out pops all the foods that contain it.

Enjoy

D

April said...

Hi Carolyn!

You're doing great!

Don't try to get D from food. Just get a supplement.

Calcium: more yogurt.

Where is your flax oil my dear? Teaspoon morning and teaspoon night. Goes great on those eggwhites (good for you for eating your eggwhites!) but add after removing from heat. That will help with your total fat intake, which is too low, and will also make your skin and hair beautiful!
It also may have anti-depressant properties.

You're doing great, keep up the good work. We are so looking forward to meeting you in March!

a