Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I FOUND QUORN!!!!

Okay so last night on the way to an art show, I stopped by the little local health food store to search for calcium chew, which they didn't carry. I walked around a bit, browsing and found in the freezer section QUORN! I have looked everywhere for this stuff (okay not really that hard, but on various shopping sprees) and have not spotted it anywhere.

I didn't pick it up last night, I just thought it would be weird walking around the Pratt gallery with my bag full of QUORN. So tonight on my walk home, I will stop by and pick some up. A little nervous about eating fungus, but hey why not?

So the art show last night was great. My friend Brian's art is awesome. He had laptop's set up to showcase his video work and had some great 60"x60" screen print paintings. I am haggling with him now to get a piece for my apartment. (You know I need to figure out to post pictures so I can share stuff with you guys!)

So today is a pretty basic day;

Egg Whites with TJ Salsa and Flax Oil

Almond and Yogurt Snack

Mega Muffin

Cabbage Soup

Same old stuff. However boring it may sound to other readers, I am getting really used to it. I am not craving other foods so much. I think I can eat egg whites for breakfast for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy. There are so many ways to cook an egg, so many veggies that can be added and GOD know's I LOVE SALSA!!! I bought some flax seed wraps from Trader Joes, so I think for dinner I will have yet another egg white omelet with salsa, but I will eat it like a burrito for variety.

One craving I did have, but easily shrugged off was orange juice. I have a little cough, not major, but thought a good dose of vitamin C would help. My mind immediately started focusing in on orange juice. I love the pulp, the sweetness, that great orangy flavor. When I got to the store this morning and starting reading lables, I realized it just was NOT worth it. I got a black coffee instead and reminded myself my diet is already pretty high in vitamin C.

I want to find out more about fresh sqeezed. I think one of those stainless steel old fashioned sqeezers would be a great addition to my kitchen decor, for one and maybe the fresh sqeezed would be substancially lower in calories. Research time. The other juice I would like to know more about, but there seems to be little around is wheat grass shots. I used to do it all the time when I was having some digestion problems. Anyone have any info; I am all ears!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn,
Re: Juicers (I'm a former Raw Foodie..so I've got all this equipment hanging around) They are such a pain to clean all the time. The "theory" (I'm sure you know this) on Wheat Grass juice is that is must betaken immediately after juicing or you will loose the benefits of the nutrients. So you can't juice a ton of it..keep it in the fridge and grab a "shot" whenever you're feeling the need for a boost. People do buy it in bulk..but as I say..there's that theory. Then there's the growing part of the wheat grass and what elements are in the soil.. blah, blah, blah. It's almost as bad as sprouting for all hat you have to do just to get a bit. I would get a fresh shot of it in a smoothie at my local Whole Foods occasionally. For me..the time crunch and the cleaning crunch out-weighed the health crunch. You may be able to swing it however. If you get a juicer that can handle greens...it's a wonderful addition to your arsenal. the Champion and Omega juicers are really well rated. Big investment tho.

That's my 2-cents

See ya 'round the blogs
D

Anonymous said...

Here's one link for juicers
http://www.sunfood.com/cgi-bin/order/index.cgi?id=498564725332&c=Appliances&sc=Juicers/Blenders

This is Natures First Law website. Go with caution..you can get really caught up in heir theory's of health. There's not much science behind it.

Calyb said...

My juicer vision was on of the old fashion "soda jerk", pull handle for just oranges, lemons, limes. I would never attempt to squeeze wheat grass (not that damn brave!). I was thinking of just getting it daily at the local health food store. Thanks so much, Deb for the info. You know, I used to own one of those mega juicers too and you are absolutely right; IT'S A LOT OF WORK!

Anonymous said...

oh right...much easier and very sharp on the kitchen counter I must admit. I'll tell you what though.. one of those old glass bowl juicers..that you use good old elbow grease for..those work great. I have a two piece stainless steel one too...it's the best!

Cheers!
D

April said...

what kind of Quorn did you get?

a