Tuesday, January 09, 2007

OKAY THE REAL MONDAY NUMBERS.....


First let me say "thanks" to all the people that commented on my Sunday Blue's post. I appreciate your support and don't worry, like now, I usually bounce back quite fast!

Okay so here is how yesterday ended;

Energy 1132.1 94%
Protein 88.9 63%
Fat 21.1 33%
Carbs 149.2 66%
Fiber 45.1 119%
Water 512.0 14% (u know I am not adding each glass of water I drink per day,
should I? 14% look LOW!)


Vitamin A 21651.3 722%
Folate 198.0 50%
B1 0.4 35%
B2 0.4 32%
B3 10.2 64%
B5 1.9 37%
B6 0.8 58%
B12 0.2 6%
Vitamin C 116.0 129%
Vitamin D 0.0 0%
Vitamin E 3.2 21%
Vitamin K 132.1 110%

Calcium 410.4 41%
Copper 0.4 45%
Iron 15.1 189%
Magnesium 88.7 22%
Manganese 1.4 62%
Phosphorus 338.7 48%
Potassium 1130.6 24%
Selenium 42 76%
Sodium 3932.8 262%
Zinc 2.0 18%

Saturated Fat 2.6 13%
Omega 3 0.4 23%
Omega 6 1.9 11%
Cholesterol 96.5 32%


Thanks God I took my supplements yesterday (not included in the numbers shown above) Okay so what do I learn from these numbers? That packing your lunch is 100% important. I know that I can forget it sometimes, but I should really strive to do it daily. These numbers look kinda like crap to me. A typical "newbie" approach to CR; high in sodium, lacking the essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.

I have read people's blogs that list several books that will help me to better understand and read these numbers. I see the obvious, but with a helpful book, I can learn how to balance my food and vitamin and mineral intake. I have been procrastinating on that and have been focus meerly on keeping my calorie intake under 1200 daily. Which oddly enough is very easy and fullfilling. So, promise to self....not let a Monday creep up again, be unprepared and go to the local "healthy" spot for some prepackaged soup for lunch.

Dinner was great though. I had a package of three chicken breast, approximately 6 oz each. I weighed them individually for daily nutritional info, but on average 6 oz. I broiled them after I dashed them with a bit of black pepper and my favorite hot sauce. Then I sauteed some mixed veggies...and yes they were frozen. (On the agenda for the day....grocery shopping!)

Okay there is a topic I would like to bring up; aging. After all that is what CR is all about right? Well last night on my laptop (because I dont own a tv) I watched a special on Frontline (a PBS program) about aging.

"Living Old" is it's title and here is a link.....http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/livingold/view/


Okay so basically it is about the aging epodemic. Pointing out that within the next 25 years, more than 20% of the population will be 85+ and will either be bid ridden at home or in a nursing home. These people will need special geriatric care, in the increasing numbers that our health care system will not be able to manage, unless drastic changes are made now.

So here is where it get's CR related (and yes I am asking for help here);

These people that are ill were obviously not followers of CR. Since we do not fulling understand or know the human effects of CR, how will we as CR practitioners help or hurt this issue in the future.

I imagine we would be of some help. We should live longer and be apart of this 85+ population, but I feel that we will not contribute to the same bed ridden illnesses this broadcast speaks of. I imagine us being retired and having the free time to help nurse and take care of our elderly friends.

I guess my question is; has anyone thought of the quality of life if we do get to go beyond our normal life span. I am sure you have. Let me know your thoughts!

1 comment:

Calyb said...

OKAY YOU MUST FORGIVE ME, I PUSHED PUBLISH BEFORE I SPELL CHECKED....SO PLEASE IGNORE MY ERRORS!!