Wednesday, May 16, 2007

30 DAY CHALLENGE (TAKE 2)

Okay so my challenge has not going as well as I thought it maybe and I have been searching for reasons and answers as to why I am having such difficulty getting back into the grove of CR. Then I read http://www.crdiary.blogspot.com/ Mary's blog today and things started to make a bit more sense for me.

"This is a big mind shift for me. You have to quit eating just for it's own sake, eating as entertainment - to do CR. You must eat to feel good afterwards. If you do this, you will do good CR and feel really good about yourself as well"

I definitely agree that you should enjoy what you eat and eating with friends and family is just as entertaining as it is nutritionally necessary or fulfilling. However, what Mary says makes a lot of sense. (read the post) She battled with a taco salad, eating more and more of the shell the more often she ate the salad. Tasty, but made her feel really crappy. When she prepared herself and packed a healthy homemade salad for lunch, she not only was completely satisfied with what the ate, but she physically and mentally felt better.

Lately, I have been battling with taco salad too. Well maybe not, but I have been battling with pasta, bagels for breakfast, peanut butter, etc. I am not eating too terribly unhealthy, but I am not paying attention. I am not recording. I am not being attentive to whether or not I am getting adequate nutrition. AND I feel like crap. I am extremely exhausted at work. I am struggling to get out of the bed in the morning. My mind is fuzzy and unfocused.

And why? When I know better, why do I chose to eat the things I know make me feel like this?

"I've eaten too many things for the fun of eating them - even though I didn't feel my best afterwards...."

So true. So very true. For the fun, the comfort, the ease, whatever.

Okay so let's start this 30 day challenge over.

FOR THE NEXT 30 DAYS I WILL:

Record and track all intake using COM
Maintain a calorie level of 1600/day (give or take a couple)
Reduce alcohol intake by 50%
Have only 1 Diet Coke per day
Have only 1 Coffee per day
Take a full 1 hour lunch in the park or at home daily
Morning yoga routine 3 times per week, minimum
Take the stairs. No elevator use in my office (which is broken down 1/2 the time anyways)

Thanks, Mary for posting what you did. I needed to hear your story and excitement this morning!

5 comments:

catlady said...

"AND I feel like crap. I am extremely exhausted at work. I am struggling to get out of the bed in the morning. My mind is fuzzy and unfocused."

Could what you're DRINKING have anything to do with that...

Deborah said...

I'm unsure of the tone of the previous commenter..

I do know that I'm with you in finding inspiration in Mary's post from yesterday. It really does help to hear it from someone who's been at this for so long and even still..needs adjustments once in a while.
I'm rooting for you Carolyn..I understand this has been a stressful time for you..I hope that you will find your space and comfort area once again.

As always,
D

Illiah said...

I think Mary reminded a lot of us why we do what we do. It's very inspiring to have someone who has been there, done that, and still shares successes and struggles with the rest of us. I think that's what makes CRON do-able are these blogs of fellow travelers. Thanks for posting your plan.
Those are great measurable goals! Keep us posted on how you're doing so we can cheer you on!

Jake Silver said...

I really love this idea... so I only have one goal and you can probably guess.

Stop waking up and stuffing my face with junk food.

JessAum said...

This sounds so much like me! I'm not so focused on the CR part of CRON as I am on getting to ON, nonetheless, I feel a bit of kinship in reading your blog.

From one person struggling for greater health to another--you'll meet your personal challenge to, and you'll inspire others while you do it! *nods affirmatively*

THanks for letting me peek in and say "hi!"