Wednesday, May 09, 2007

BLOGGER HELL

I woke up this morning thinking I would share a song with you all. I noticed yesterday that Mary had posted a www.youtube.com video on her site and I thought, brilliant. However, being somewhat technically challenged, I couldn't make it work.

So, here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3dgB_ocQs

This song is great and will certainly get your feet tapping a bit this morning!

Okay so now that music has been shared, what else?

I have been thinking a lot lately about a post I have been wanting to write. I just have not taken the time to do the proper research and writing. So, I have another idea. Why not throw out a simple statement and see how the peanut gallery reacts. Maybe this will motivate me a bit.

So I read this;

"Sitting down to dinner is a trap, not something to enjoy."

-Julia Child circa 1989

How does that statement make you feel?

8 comments:

Sara said...

I love sitting down to dinner. I love the ritual of sharing food with a person / person(s) I love. I feel hassled, in fact, if I don't get the opportunity to sit down to dinner; I hate grabbing food on the run, it totally stresses me out.

Amy said...

Makes me wonder what she was getting at (Julia, I mean), since she was a chef and all . . .

I like the idea of sitting down to dinner, but I have to confess we don't do it enough in our house. That's one of my goals as a family, actually: sit down to a dinner more often!

Plus, as a CRONnie, I would think being mindful of ones eating would surely make one more satiated than shoveling it in while watching tv or reading a book (the way I often do :-).

Amy

Schatze said...

What, Julia Child??? Does it mention in what context that was said? That seems so different from what I've read of hers.

Calyb said...

Here's another excerpt from the article;

"[We] spend too much time studying nutrition facts on food packages, weighing ourselves, feeling guilty about what we're eating, exercising like robots on equipment and hating our bodies ... we spend far too little time simply enjoying a meal or moving our bodies for the fun of it."

Illiah said...

The additional quote reminds me of something I read by Eugene Peterson, where he talks about how much our society misses out now that we don't spend time preparing meals together, eating together and all that.When it takes an hour to prepare a meal, you're more likely to savor it and the company, rather than grab something in five minutes from a stranger with a credit card machine and a warmer. For my family, some of the best conversations of the week happen at the dinner table, usually complete with laughter and at least one person snorting milk up his nose.

If sitting down to dinner is a trap, I'd hate to think who Julia was dining with.

Jake Silver said...

dinner can be very enjoyable. I like to make healthy choices so I can feel good about my actual food and also the company.

Schatze said...

Ahhh, that's more like it!
I see dinner as an opportunity: for conversation, for winding down at the end of the day, for nutrition, for enjoyment of good food. Not a trap!

Matthew said...

Went to see them live a few years ago, was amazing! :D